Casey has developed Wonder Puppy’s innovative course curricula by applying her knowledge of animal behavior gained from her studies of psychology, as well as her more than 10 years in the field. From teaching playgroups and group classes, to creating instructional dog training booklets and custom training products, Casey has led Wonder Puppy to become Portland's premiere puppy parenting center!
Casey’s love of animals began when she was a child in Tennessee, caring for her own family’s pets. Growing up, her “siblings” were the Dachshunds, German Shepherds, and Borzois that her parents bred and showed. Casey's path was set, and she earned her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, with a focus on Animal Behavior, from the College of Charleston. During her third year of study, Casey took the golden opportunity to intern with renowned Ethologist, Dr. Gordon Burghardt, at the University of Tennessee where she studied snake and chicken behavior. At Wonder Puppy, Casey uses her animal behavior background to specialize in puppy play and social development, as well as boundary training.
When not at Wonder Puppy, Casey serves as the Curriculum Director of Whole Dog Academy, a non-profit dedicated to improving human-canine relationships. Casey also shares her knowledge by educating trainers, puppy parents, and the general public through her easy-to-follow, step-by-step training videos. In 2011, her “Coming When Called” video, which focused on “targeting” for effectively teaching the recall cue, earned her an award from the Association of Professional Dog Trainers. In 2012, Casey spoke at the APDT USA Conference, where she will again speak in October. Casey’s teachings will go international in 2014, when she’s a featured speaker at APDT Chile.
In the course of Casey's career, she has worked with everyone from families and their rescues, to professional athletes, musicians, and TV stars. Recently, she was a set trainer for “Animal House,” an aspiring TV show that builds animal shelters, and for the popular IFC TV series, “Portlandia.”
When Casey’s not training or creating new ways for parents to learn with their puppies, she enjoys yoga, traveling, and spending time with friends - especially her biggest inspiration, her wonder collie, Jackson.
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology with Ethology
- Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA)
- Director of Curriculum for Whole Dog Academy, a non-pofit for the betterment of the human-canine relationship
- Primary Level TAGteach Certificate from TAGteach International
- Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Evaluator
- Professional Member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT)
- Speaker at the APDT National Conference (2012, 2013)
- National Winner of the APDT Dr Robert Curan NewTrix Award (2011)
- Two-time top ten winner of the Spot Magazine's Best in the Biz Awards (2012, 2013)
- Scheduled international speaker for Chile's Association of Pet Dog Trainers (2014)